Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Double Entry Journal #4

1. Describe 3 things you learned about teaching and literacy development.

I learned that teachers are beginning to consider different forms of testing that adhere to the people in rural Appalachia. I was also curious when I read that some teachers were thinking about the possible improvement if writings were rooted in the students dialect. I find it interesting that there has been a sudden thrust forward in the area of literacy development. I feel like I have not heard much about it until now...

2. Give 2 examples of how the strategies for literacy instruction presented in this article reflect Culturally Responsive Teaching.

One example would be when Clark said, "By using their own words to describe these patterns, students move from what they intuitively know about language to an understanding of language variation and how it works in different settings and with different audiences." Another one would be in the words of Phillips. "I know my kids as individuals, and this is who they are. It's my responsibility to teach the learning standards, but not to change them or take away their dialect."

3. Give 1 example of literacy instruction from your own schooling experience and explain how it reflects or does not reflect Culturally Responsive Teaching.

I honestly cannot recall a time when literacy was an issue in my schooling. My teachers always corrected us if we spoke in correctly and we never thought anything of it. We realized we spoke improperly and we fixed it. I do remember an instance when some people had the same pronunciation for the word "Color" and "Collar". The teacher corrected the student and that was the last of it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment