Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Double Entry Journal #5


"In an ideal classroom everyone treats what is to be learned with a reverence that generates mutual respect among teachers and students" (Woodruff 2001, 192).
I agree with this statement because I believe in the value of not only teaching and learning, but retaining information. I'm a musician and I want to share my knowledge with my students and want them to have the same respect that I do for music and the disciplines behind it.

1. What is reverent listening and how can it support culturally responsive teaching?
The article mentions that "Reverent listening is certainly not a panacea for the concerns and problems of our schools, but it is part of a simple act of paying regard and attention to others that is too often ignored in today’s schools." Many teachers ignore or pay less attention to students who come from broken homes or rough neighborhoods or even because of the color of their skin. Like the quote states, this is a SIMPLE act and solution. If only more teachers would pay attention to this...

2. Give an example from your own schooling experience of what this quote means:
    Reverent listening is not to be confused with humiliation and domination by others who force us to listen, and even less so, with the kind of incompetence that wants to be told what to do.
I know of some times in high school when teachers would ask a student for an answer to a controversial question.  The majority of the students would just stare and stutter around their "true" answer and say what he/she thought the teacher wanted to hear. I can't really relate to that. I have been taught since I was a young boy to be honest and speak my mind, within reason of course. 

3. What is meant by a "laundry list of value ethics"? Give an example from your own schooling experience. And then explain how this approach to character education can be NON-culturally responsive.
I cannot recall a point in my schooling that dealt with a "laundry list of value ethics"

4. Have you ever had a teacher that at one time or another exhibited the traits of a reverent teacher? What did they do? How did they make you feel?
Alongside my music classes I'm taking at FSU I have been studying American Sign Language. I have always wanted to learn it and as a teacher I'm sure it could come in handy sometime. Ruby Losh, one of my sign language professors, treats her classes with seriousness, but doesn't make it stuffy. She encourages learning and doing your best. If you struggle she is more than happy to work with you one on one until you understand the material. I felt very secure under her teachings and it made me learn very quickly.

5. What factors contribute to a "toxic" school culture?
A school culture can be "toxic" when a lack of leadership leads to a lack of reverent listening. 

6. Find a quote in this article that you would like to incorporate into your own philosophy of education and explain how it fits or changes your philosophy of education.
"Beyond all other considerations, reverent teaching understands the need to listen and respect students, parents, custodial staff, secretaries, and principals."

I already base some of my teaching philosophy off of this quote, but it is a constant reminder that I must not judge my students based on any of their personal choices. I must respect them and give them reasons to respect me as their teacher. I want to reach out to my students and their families. I was that the key to having success in your school it to make friends with the two most important people in your school - the custodian and the cooks! I have found that this is a true statement. It leads to extra food and a clean room!

7. Find a strategy/activity conveyed in a video, blog posting, lesson plan, or online article that will help you become a  teacher who cultivates a reverence in their classroom and school community.
I found this video on Youtube and It really "hit home" for me. In the first minute and twelve seconds of this video Professor Rosemont, Jr. talks about the values, consequences, and interpretations of reverence.







1 comment:

  1. Outstanding discussion of what it means to be a teacher that promotes reverence! A laundry list of "values" refers to character development education that are usually commercially produced and sold to schools.

    I like the video and I''m going to show it in class. I think this is the most difficult thing to grasp. How do teacher teach respect for authority without being domineering!

    ReplyDelete