Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Double Entry Journal #8

Situated Language and Learning: A critique of traditional schooling

1. What is the main challenge being addressed in this book?

I feel that the main challenge in the book is based on the various ways people talk. Is it educated language or just everyday jargon that a lot of folks are used to speaking on a day to day basis; in the vernacular you might say...

2. What does the author mean by the phrase "ways with words"?
The author means words that are used in a particular fashion. These words can be considered "jargon" and "academic language."

3. What is the core argument being made by the author of this book?
People can learn there "ways with words" in and out of the school building, but only when they find it most convenient or compelling.

4. Give an example of a specialized variety of a language or "way with words" you have learned outside of school?
I have heard many students talk within their cliques or groups, but I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary when speaking aloud. I have, however, noticed a "way with words" when people, mostly teenagers, text on their phones. Words like "LOL", "ROFL", and "BRB"  have a deeper meaning, but some may not know what these letters imply. For the "older" generation these letters have no meaning what-so-ever, but they are everyday phrases used into today's society.

5. According to the author, how do people learn a specialized variety of a language or "way with words" best?

The author suggests that people learn best when they have more experiences outside of school that may pertain or be more important to their futures.

6. If people are to be successful in the 21st century, what must they become?
To be be successful, one has to learn to and be able to adapt. If one is to achieve a particular goal or objective he/she must learn to understand and be able to "shape-shift" into whatever the situation calls for.

7. The author states that learning academic language is NOT sufficient for success in modern society? Do you agree? Why or Why not?
I do not agree with Gee. I think you have to have a little give and take when it comes to learning academic language. I think that one has to be able to adapt or "shape-shift" to their surroundings in the modern society, but I also believe that a person must have a certain level of professionalism. As a future public school teacher I feel that when I go into my first job interview I would give the impression of a well-mannered, upright citizen, and carry a high level of decorum.

8. What do you think about this author's "way with words"?
In all honesty, I'm not looking forward to reading the rest of the book. I enjoy reading very much, but only if I can "latch" onto the book or story. I'm having a hard time with this one right now. Gee states in the book that he can change his "way with words" and perhaps if he does that may benefit me. For now, I'm in that black hole he mentions...

No comments:

Post a Comment